I loved your memo, btw...

''It's not a memo, it's a mission statement.''

Friday, August 01, 2003

[Music || Kelly Clarkson, "Low"]
Today I dined at Chez Wendy's. There was a hair in my salad when I started eating it. No, I didn't eat into it, I saw it and after some hesistation, I reported it to the cashier. They were shocked! And the manager apologized and asked if I wanted anything else or a refund. I said another salad would be fine. They even remembered I wanted to lighter honey mustard dressing. Wowza. Also, I was surprised she offered me a free drink or frosty. I opted for the frosty as to give one to Olivia. I ordered one earlier, so why not give a free frosty to a friend? Double double!

Then later on, Ali came over to stuff the pinata we bought the other day. It's a hilarious happy face. I shopped til I dropped yesterday at the 99 Cents store to try and find stuff to stuff our soon-to-be busted up circular friend. What I found was chocolated shaped frogs, 1 lb of bubble gum (tutti-fruiti flavor too!), kazoos, and highlighters.. among other things. The funny thing was she brought over a boba deluxe (it had everything in it! lol) from her work. Thank you Ali! I never had such a good meal of aloe vera, lychee, and boba. Yum.

Kit called and told me I was going out. Of course I couldn't, because I was stuffing the pinata. Also, I didn't feel like I wanted to dress up once again. I wanted to read my Sweet Valley Twins book (the only one I had about some mother-daughter switch) and relax. Okay, so I invited him over even though his respond to my IM last night about having a pinata at the park was "Who the fuck cares?"

It's weird. I feel like sometimes, I'm not allowed to hang around other people without consulting.. never mind. I'm a bit neurotic right now. Waiting for his arrival, Ali brought out her skateboard. I hopped on for a split second.. I must've looked weird in my street clothes t-shirt and my PJs pants. I felt awful that as I was about to tell Ali about the step my house had, she fell. Ahh.. I felt awful cos I was just about to shout it out but I wasn't sure if she was doing a trick. So we went in the house for some ice. after he comes over, the whole trio didn't last long. Then when Kit arrived, it was awkward. Maybe he thought Ali and I had spent some long time hang out at clubs on Main Street and didn't invite him. Hello, it's stuffing a pinata which takes 15 minutes. Well, then everyone disbanded with me staying at home.

On Wednesday, Ali and I went to The Grove's Farmer Market. The previous times I went there was for the Alias book signing (hardly counting as a visit since I stayed in line for the whole period) and the first time my mom introduced me to it. None of my experience at this Farmer's Market was as fun as this time. I'm glad to have saviored exploring the realms of hot sauce shops, cheese markets, Bob's donut shop, and the three story Barnes and Nobles. The Farmer's Market was exciting since it's more like scattered open door restaurants and SMC gift shops rather than a produce venue (there's only one produce stand!). We decided to dine at an indoors sit-down restaurant named Du-Par's since I read about how Tyra Banks ate there and they had great pancakes. Turns out, Du-Par's was pricey but still.. it was worth experincing since I'll probably never return there. We sat by the window which gave a view of people eating at the outside and trying to spot celebrities. I say, I spotted Tobey Maguire eating his gumbo all by his lonely self! He left abruptly so I didn't get to get a better view.

About Du-Par's food... order the SHORT STACK of pancakes. It's $5.95 for the short stack (3 pancakes) or $6.95 for the regular (5 pancakes). I ordered the regular cos hey, I was hungry. Turns out I couldn't finish it! Also, I have this fascination with blueberry pancakes after watching "Pulp Fiction" so that's what I ordered (it cost me $1.95 more). Once the waiteress brought over the butter cakes with warm, smoldering blueberries to add on top.. I was in heaven! I cannot post without saying that Du-Par's has an authentic diner feel even though it is a chain restaurant. It's small and old-fashion. Norm's has the faux diner-feel. The waiteress was very nice too since she refilled our water without us asking. I forgot to say, they serve breakfast all day! I was eating pancakes for lunch at 3:30 p.m.! Ali decided to go with their $10 fruit bowl which looked simply divine! It was mostly melons but with a generous scoop of ice cream on top. However, Ali said they put cabbage on the bottom of the fruit bowl. If anyone decides to order this dish, say "No cabbage please!"

Although the restaurant does not say on their menu prominently, I read on the website that says Sharing dishes cost $1.65 extra or something. Considering their prices, I would say Du-Par's should take this stingy enforcement away. We ignored the rule like tourists that didn't know any better and took a bite of each other's overpriced breakfast items. I believe the waiteress say and gave us our check right after we did so (we weren't billed the fee though). Du-Par's is good, but I wouldn't say it is anything special enough to be priced triple the amount the food cost. The service and atmosphere are a plus. That is the main reason to go.

I also read up on Bob's Donut Shop. It took quite a way to find it while we explored the other booths. Bob's is said to have the best jelly donuts in the world. I didn't try it there since I was full and bought two jellies to-go. Each donut is reasonable priced at approximately 65 cents. I noticed some donuts had green frosting on and were shaped as a dinosaur! Way cool! The donut is alright, but I don't know how to tell if it's "the best" I've tried. However, almost every jelly donut beats Krispy Kreme's puny ones jellies with little filling.

Later we walked along the whole Grove. It's a nice place to shop and I vow one day to check out what the restaurant Madame Wu's serve (American-Chinese food?). There is even a Party City upstairs which is where Ali bought the pinata. There are several other shops on The Grove. A great place to go to if anyone's in Los Angeles. It's on 3rd Street and Fairfax. It is almost jointed with the CBS studio so you can't miss it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home