I loved your memo, btw...

''It's not a memo, it's a mission statement.''

Tuesday, August 05, 2003

My review of "Innocent Eyes" by Delta Goodrem.

1. Born To Try - 8/10 - I love this song although something about it doesn't make me want to listen to it everytime I start up the CD. It doesn't make a great album "lead-off" but that's besides the point. This song is inspiring and I love the story.

2. Innocent Eyes - 8/10 - I love the "da-da-da-da-da." I predict, it'll go to #1. Oh wait, it already did. Everytime I play it, I want to spin around in my room and go bonkers! Similar to Delta in the video for it.

3. Not Me, Not I - 9/10 - A fitting fourth single. It's one of those "I-will-survive" songs but not overly empowering. I love the vulnerablity in her voice. I love these types of ballads.

4. Throw It Away - 7/10 - Not one of my favorites. I didn't understand what the song was talking about until last night when I realy listened to the lyrics. I like the "Fly by Frankie thinks he's Superman" line, I don't like the chorus. I won't choose this as a Delta single since it sounds like purely solid album material.

5. Lost Without You - 9/10 - This has grown on me so much. Possibly the hype or me learning how to play it on my guitar. I like it now but I notched down a point from a perfect score because I like Jaci's version a bit more. This is a good song after I listened to it overtime.

6. Predictable - 8/10 - You were right Sean, moody moody moody Delta might have been riding the crimson wave when she wrote this. I like singing to it and think about people who were "just so predictable." Although this song isn't predictable, it's far from original.

7. Butterfly - 10/10 - I agree with GeoGuy's review. Better than Mariah! This is a butterfly that is beautifully written, sung, and composed. When I listen to it, I can see the clear skies and feel the summer breeze. This is a song I want to listen to as I walk along the shores of the beach when I get lonely.

8. In My Own Time - 8/10 - At first, I didn't like this one that much because the lyrics didn't flow as nicely. But the lyrics shone. Now I like the beauty of how the song doesn't flow as well. Sometimes when everything is so confusing, things don't make sense. I liken this to Natalie Imbruglia's "That Day" even though they don't sound anything alike.

9. My Big Mistake - 9.5/10 - This sounds very familiar to me as well. Very Natalie Merchant "Wonder"-ish sound! I have to go with Sean to say that "magic magic, tragic tragic" is infectious. I can't give this a 10 because this sounds all too familiar that Delta might have stole it somewhere! Haha.

10. This Is Not Me - 9/10 - I adore these lyrics. This is the song (along with "Born To Try") that pushed me to purchase the album. I'm more of a lyrics person and this song connected with me (and the song is pretty good too). If her album and songwriting focused more on lyrics similar to "Lost Without You," I would not have purchased it.

11. Running Away - 5/10 - The album's weak link. The beginning sounds like it might be a good dance song, but then it strays away and becomes a watered down ballad (it also sounds like music I hear at Little Saigon shopping center). Plus, Delta uses the words "predictable" and "individual" again.. in the same verse.

12. A Year Ago Today - 5/10 - Hey Lene Marlin, let Delta cover your song "One Year Ago" to fill this spot up! Nice song, but I would've put it as a B-side.

13. Longer - 10/10 - This is what great, breezy pop songs are made of. Had me humming the chorus all day long! Probably my favorite song on the album. The lyrics are very sweet and charming too. Hasn't everyone felt this way before? "Just a minute longer..." Delta's delivery of the word "In fact devastated!" captures the feeling perfectly!

14. Will You Fall For Me - 7/10 - It's a beautiful track. I wouldn't know if I would've used it to end the album with. I kind of expected more from this song since I read the lyrics first. Some parts of the lyrics seemed forced into place.

The DVD behind-the-scenes footage of her videos is more of a montage. I was hoping Delta would explain what it felt like working on the set and other "secrets" of shooting the music video, etc etc.

Also, I don't like the texture of the booklet. Yuck. Reminds me of Nelly Furtado's album booklet.

CD: 8/10 - B-
Bonus material (DVD, notepad, lyrics): D (lyrics lifted it up from a F)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home