I loved your memo, btw...

''It's not a memo, it's a mission statement.''

Sunday, August 17, 2003

[Music || Andy Griggs, "She's More"]
At Olivia and her mom's indirect recommendation, I decided to skip out on "Vege House" (next to the Bowling Alley on Valley across from Vons). I always go there for their lunch special but they have some of the rudest waiteress. It's like, "Hey you're Asian, you're here to eat.. we don't have to be nice to you!"

So I remembered Olivia said her mom took her to "New Happy Family Restaurant" (also on Valley but next to Mr. Baguette so it's further down the street) and she had a pleasant time there. I took my dad there for lunch today. I was SHOCKED once we sat down, the waiteress poured our tea for us! Something that would've never crossed "Vege House" waiteresses. Although their menus were similar, they did offer some exotic different dishes. I stuck with the very simple sauteed string beans cos I didn't feel like eating something heavy today (my dad orderd pineapple vege chicken which was pretty good - "Vege House" doesn't make that). My dad noticed they had a little dessert window in the corner so I went to look. They served mango pudding, taro pudding, and some drink. The waiteress noticed and came to our table and recommended I try something. I said "No thanks," but she was so persisitent in her Mandarin (which I don't understand). Then she noticed I didn't understand and kept persuading me in Cantonese! "Boba" came up at one point but I knew to say "No" because I have learned that restaurants can't make Boba as good as the specialty drink stores. She said "Our juice is very good, do you want it?" and she was saying it right to my face! How could I refuse!! I was being pushed over and I said couldn't refuse! I said "Okay." LOL

I was like "I bet it's gonna be expensive and not good" since the restaurant doesn't look like it's a drink-shop. Then I asked my dad what was the drink she was gonna bring cos I had no idea what it was except that it was juice so I assumed it was the one on the window counter. My dad said it was watermelon and I didn't have the heart to tell the waiteress I didn't like watermelon. I suppose no one drinks in that restaurant much because the waiteresses were talking about "watermelon juice" being ordered and I could over hear them! Quite a conversation! When my drink arrived, it was in a tall plastic cup and it was a pink, watermelon slush. I sipped a little and it was okay. I don't like the watermelon flavor much except in small doses. Too much makes me want to vomit. When the bill came, I was surprised the drink was only $1.65. A pretty good value but then again, it's not exactly cheap... it's just that nowadays places like Tea Station and Tapioca Express charge their customers $3-5 for a little slush that $1.65 seemed like nothing.

When I came home, I couldn't finish the drink cos it was making me nauseous. Haha. Still, "New Happy Family Restaurant" is a pretty good vegetarian restaurant. I recommend it but maybe they thought we were gonna give them like a $20 tip or something so they were being so nice. Perhaps a second visit is needed to see if they are geniunely that nice to all their customers most of the time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home