I loved your memo, btw...

''It's not a memo, it's a mission statement.''

Sunday, August 17, 2003

[Music || Stacie Orrico, "(There's Gotta Be) More To Life"]
Yesterday, I spent the whole day with Helen. I can't believe a simple non-communication warped our relationship to na-da and now we're spending time catching up. It was so fun yesterday. I am going to miss times like these.

Okay, so what if Helen said we should cancel our plans the night before yesterday? I could NOT leave without seeing my best buddy who helped me during sophomore and freshman year so I showed up uninvited at her home. I finally got to see how her room looks like and we spent a lot of time reminicising. That is what "good times" are made of. These past few days, we've been having some great, heartfelt conversations. We've changed and I think in order to be friends, one has to allow the other to grow. I read that in some "Chicken Soup for Teenage Soul" book a long time ago.

After a couple hours taking pictures and looking at artwork, I asked her if she wanted to accompany me to Ikea to pick up my comforter and REALLY buy it this time. My mom was at work but it was better going without her because we might fight again. (Driving on the freeway, I was extra careful and didn't want to slack off my driving like I've been doing lately. I want to send my well wishes to Clay and co and his swollen pinky.)This time, we didn't spend much time browsing and went ahead to purchase. At my mom and Helen's suggestion, I ended up not fighting advice and went with the "Extra warm" comforter. That's $40 there. Then for the quilt cover, I went with the one on sale ($7.99), a colorful stripe combonation. I quite fancy it because of the nice price tag. (or else I would've liked to have gone with something more sunny and bright). :o)

Afterwards, I was hungry but I needed a pillow. We went over to the Meryvns/outdoors plaza across from Ikea. It was Tax Free day at Meryvns but nothing jumped out at me so I didn't buy. We walked along the shops (sitting at Office Depot chairs, walking through Target, trying on shoes and modelling at Chick's outdoors sale, etc) but what really made me mad was Burlington's Coat Factory! We were looking at the bed, comforter, sheets, section and all.. then some bitchy woman who works there scolds us for sitting on the beds. HELLO, if you expect people to buy your stuff and you leave beds out in the open, we can see if we like the material, etc. After Clay inspired me with his back talk to Carl's Jr and a candle shop on Main St., I wasn't gonna have any of it. I gave her a false smile back and said if they didn't want us sitting on them, they should put some signs around. I couldn't believe that I was talking to that bitch! If it was a year ago, I would've just went "Okay" and we would've left the store. I didn't want to be obnoxtious but the lady smiled back at me and said "But why would anybody want to go to a store and laid on their beds?" Then I went "Maybe we want to test out your products and if we liked it, we would buy it?" The bitch then went and brought her co-worker to tell us how they remake all the beds each day and how they put eight pillows on each. Okay, it's THEIR job to do that each day but they don't want us to mess up their sheets? Umm.. that makes zero sense. Lazy workers. Then I turned to Helen and told her "Well, we're going to Bath and Beyond" (which was right next to Burlington). The stupid bitch then tried to say "Oh, I didn't mean that you should leave..." but we left before she could finish! I was mad enough that I wanted to report her for turning Burlington's customer's away. She probably thought we weren't going to buy anything, but we might've! I was tossing a plastic apple around in my hand when she first saw me. Thinking it over now, I would've said "We're going to IKEA, you know.. where they actually like for your to touch and try out their items."

Gosh, the nerves of that saleswoman made me feel sad and angry. Discriminated in America!

Afterwards (it was about 5 p.m.), I was hungry so we headed back toward our familiar Alhambra area. With hours to kill (since Helen suggested we could do something with Ali after she gets off work), I craved Twohey's bittersweet ice cream. I ordered a garden burger and Helen got their amazing (but greasy) onion rings. Those onion rings are SO good but eat them only once in a while or you'll end up with a face full of pox. It was a nice, early dinner kind of but we had a lazy waiteress there that wouldn't refill my water. She was nice, but I really think she made our sundae wrong. It was not bittersweet at all.. it was more milk chocolate. Very bland and not so good so I left her a tip of only $1.00. Reasonable, but just under 10%.

With about a couple more hours to kill, I thought about visiting the Focus/99 Ranch Market area! We ended up looking at the plaza across from Lollicup that I've never been to. It's not that great but a nice experience. It's a litlte plaza with an indoors shopping mall built with a restaurant in it. The Chinese food fumes does not make a good shopping experience so that may explain why the store was so quiet. A worker there was spending her time surfing Yahoo for David Beckham pictures (I saw over her shoulder!) since the Sanrio-like store was deserted. Then, we went to those little booths to take photos. I never knew why people liked them so much but now I can see why! It makes a pretty cool effect and a keepsake for friends. Getting a wallet size pic is much better than those tiny ones (usually stickers) since I never got why people were so crazy over a tiny pic you can barely even see! The machine has such a quick timer but we got three shots. In the second one, I asked Helen to move more to the right and she thought I meant to switch sides so we swapped places quickly (I didn't complain since I didn't want to waste our take!) and started laughing hysterically cos I imagined it would've looked horrible since we swapped so quickly. Turns out it looked pretty spontaneous and funny so we choose it. It just had a picture of me laughing so hard and Helen looking very nice wondering what's going on lol. Great keepsake and it even has a date on it. Today I went to BigLots to buy a photo album to put keepsakes like that so I can remember them when I go to SF.

To make a long story short, we went to wait for Ali at her workplace (and we ordered some bitter Dragon Green tea). Mervyns was nearby so I went in to buy a Tax Free king size pillow (hey, having a twin bed, I think I deserve a huge pillow!). After all is said and done, the three of us (and Barbara) wanted to hang out as a group. It was impossible to do anything without the cost of money so at Helen's great suggestion.. we went to KTV (Chinese Karaoke place)! I've always wanted to go for so long!! I'm glad I did. Expensive and tricky (forcing everyone to purchase their overpriced drinks), it was an hour of memories. I opted to go for well-known power ballads and campy radio favorites so I could scream a la Kelly Clarkson style (sorry, the place is slow at updating current songs so no "Dirrty," no "Miss Independent," no "A Moment Like This"!) so my choices included "My Heart Will Go On," "Sometimes," and "Baby One More Time"! Our group effort on "My Heart Will Go On" was so hilarious that I caught myself laughing at it today at lunch. We literally belted the song out so loud that our vocals were surely heard through the door! Go Celine Dion style singing!! I wanted to put all my emotion into the song as if Dianne Warren wrote it for me and that I had to know that my heart will go on. I was screaming so hard I thought I would cry!! "My Heart Will Go On and on and on!!!" Helen was so good at Chinese rapping (Jay Chou) that I had to play Fat Joe in Ashanti songs and go "Uh huh," "Yeah," "Remix" cos I didn't know how to sing/read Chinese songs! It was so fun, that I hope when I come back for Winter Break we'll go again (with a bigger group and at another KTV since this one kinda wasn't that good). I was shocked at the bill (~$45) because they left an area for TIP. Without even hesitating, I wrote '$0.00" because.. what did they do to even deserve tips?! All they did was bring in our $3 (each)can of 7-up, Coke, and bottled water. There is NO TIPS for that!! However, today I thought it over and I think they meant tips cos we could've trashed their little Karaoke room and they had to clean it up. Still, the service lady was mean to us and didn't tell us how to operate to remote thing. Also, the loading time took up a lot of our hour so our extra 15 minutes we went over was ours (they didn't charge us because we told them we only wanted ONE HOUR and they didn't even come to tell us).

These are memories that I am glad I was able to have had.

BTW, the comforter wasn't overly warm and was great to sleep in. :0)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home