I loved your memo, btw...

''It's not a memo, it's a mission statement.''

Friday, January 09, 2004

"In 'The Company' of Cinq"
[Music || Samantha Mumba, "Gotta Tell You"]
I love doing things by myself so much. Last night, I eyed a 10:15 p.m. "The Company," the last showing of the night, at the Laemmle theater. I drove myself into the coldness of the night. When I got to the near empty streets of South Pasadena, I had to make a couple turns to find out where the parking was. Eventually, I parked on the street a block from the theater, since you had to pay for the theater parking. I wasn't sure if it was legal or anything, anyway...

I've been yearning to watch "The Company" for so long, but I did not know what to expect. I've read several articles about this dream project of Neve Campbell, a tribute to a dance company. In this case, it's the Joffre ballet. I was told not to expect a plot-driven movie; so I went in without knowing what to expect from the movie.

In all case, the movie theater was very intimate. I counted; there were five other people sitting around me; two couples, and one guy by himself. Counting myself, there were six of us in the theater this cold night watching "The Company." When the previews started, the door was still ajar so the guy sitting behind me went to go close it! It was such a strange sight to see this at a movie theater!

The movie was nothing I expected; it was partly beautiful, partly slow, but I never kept my eyes off the screen. There were so many lines I didn't catch; I have to watch the subtitles come the DVD. Alas, the movie was mostly always entertaining. It was not a movie about Neve Campbell, but rather like the title amptly states, the company she dances for. This is a tough sell.

I got out of the theater a little after midnight, feeling the agitation that my car was towed. I started running toward it in the dark, empty one-way street. It was safe, but the night was so frigid. I, so need real gloves/mitten or whatever you call them with the finger holes cut out.

Listening to my beloved KZLA, I drove down Lake Avenue, eyeing the empty but brightly lit shops. I drove in a zig-zag line but I kept my speed limit, goodness knows that police patrol more carefully at night when there's rarely any cars to spot for. Nearing the residental areas, I suddenly felt like I was driving into an unknown, a darkness. The street was muted charcoal except for the dim street lights which looked more doll-house than real; bless the San Marino style. Driving about 30 mph, I admired how much I have come to love the risk, the beauty, the solitude.

I was in the company of myself and frankly, call me selfish because I loved every minute of it.
---
I have just about watched everything I wanted to, so here's my Top 10 Movies of 2003! It'll probably still change though.

My Top 10 Movies of 2003
1. "Whale Rider"
2. "Lost In Translation"
3. "Pieces of April"
4. "Hero" (US Release: April 2004)
5. "Cold Mountain"
6. "thirteen"
7. "Lord of The Rings: Return of The King"
8. "L'auberge espagnole"
9. "Lilya 4-ever"
10. "X2: X-Men United"

Honorable mention:
"The Company"
"Bend It Like Beckham"
"Spellbound"

Top 10 Disappointments/"Worst" List
1. "The Twins Effect"
2. "Daredevil"
3. "Dirty Pretty Things"
4. "Identity"
5. "How To Deal"
6. "The Last Samurai"
7. "Legally Blonde 2: Red, White, and Blonde"
8. "Internal Affairs 2"
9. "The Eye"
10. "Under The Tuscan Sun"

Dishonorable mention:
"A Mighty Wind"
"The Matrix: Reloaded"

Fun!
1. "From Justin To Kelly"
2. "Honey"
3. "The Lizzie McGuire Movie"
4. "So Close"
5. "Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life"

Sorta fun:
"He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not" ("A la folie... pas du tout" )
"How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home