I loved your memo, btw...

''It's not a memo, it's a mission statement.''

Saturday, September 13, 2003

[Music || Lene Marlin, "Another Day"]
My lunch today: a Klondike "Big Bear" ice cream sandwich, Famous Amos chocolate Oreo-like cookies, and a bag of cheese Cheetos.

I woke up past 2 p.m. so I missed brunch lol. Plus, I was too lazy to drag myself out of bed. Dinner is at 5 p.m. but the food is nasty so I'm not that crazy about going each time.

I'm beginning to like this city more as I discover it. Yesterday I Muni-mapped my short trip to West Portal. It's so easy and close to get to but yet, I planned my trip so I was an hour early. My plan was to go to this independent theater to catch an afternoon showing of "Thirteen." Since ever Friday my classes end at 11 a.m., I'm free to explore.

West Portal is a nice street. The difference between SF and LA is that in LA, I rarely see these Ma and Pa shops. It surprises me how many gift shops and markets are not corporate run here. Their Rite Aide almost seems deserted. In Alhambra, everything is nicely put together by big conveninet chain corporations. I suppose we do have Ma and Pa shops, but since they are distinctively Chinese, I don't take notice.

I have yet to eat at a local restaurant yet. I'm never quite hungry enough, but yesterday I put my feet down and went into an ice cream parlor. It was grossly expensive, but it was good. It was some shop called Double Rainbow ice cream which is suppose to be award-winning. Lots of people were in there so I decided, why not? Their chocolate ice cream was amazing, but does not come close to anything produced by Fossleman's (in Soda Jerks, etc :)).

The movie theater was run-down but I liked it. Haha, the screen was out of focused during the previews and I was like "Noo... I paid to see a blurry screen" but luckily a worker fixed that before the movie also ran. Watching "Thirteen," it resonated with me on a level of parent and child. I didn't realize that my parents put up a lot with me while I grew up and that they loved me through it all. Near the end of the movie, I was near tears and I could hear some of the audience in a similar predicament. I love watching movies with just 4-5 other people in the audience. It was a great experience. If I return next week, I have to get a haircut.

Later on, I decided that taking the Muni home was pointless so I walked. I'm familiar with the streets now so it was a nice stroll and I even went through the Stonestown shopping center again. Now I'm burden with tons of homework, but having a laid back Friday was worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home