I loved your memo, btw...

''It's not a memo, it's a mission statement.''

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Takes Me Back #1: Jesse McCartney - "Beautiful Soul"

"Takes Me Back" is a fun, personal project for me to reflect.

Prologue:
Growing up, I was a big fan of collecting physical CDs (as I didn't grow up with vinyl!) because each CD holds a memory. If I dig out my CDs, I can tell you a story behind each one -- whether it related to the music or not, there was a reason why that CD was brought to my collection.

Alas, moving to college and having almost no space in my studio, along with the death of CDs, they took up too much room. Nowadays, I've accustomed and flowed with the downloads and single-track format.

"Takes Me Back" is a recollection of songs, and the story behind what they mean to me.
---

Takes Me Back #1
Song: "Beautiful Soul"
Artist: Jesse McCartney

I detested Jesse when this came about on the airwaves. I did not hold Dreamstreet in high regards, especially how eerie it was to see boys that young dress and act the part of sex symbols.

Alas, "Beautiful Soul" was pop and it was not ashamed of it. It seemed like my online buddies could not get enough of it, going as far as saying even their "straight" roommates loved it.

I caught the bug (after a while, of course). Despite his questionable vocal abilities, this song and production is unabashedly optimistic in love.

"Beautiful Soul" came on my mp3 Player shuffle yesterday in rush hour, and I could not help but sing along and remincise.

This bright pop number takes me back to... my first date(s). I was so excited, having had a truly wonderful date, and dropping him off at his apartment.

I can't recall the exact date or time, but I do know I was dreaming, sighing, feeling elated, getting on the 405 Freeway (which I was not familiar with at the time). "Beautiful Soul" came on, and all I could think about was him and how happy I was.

This was the first time I opened myself to date and meet guys, allowing myself the possiblity of discovering happiness with someone. It was exhilarating, in addition to finally being able to "relate" to a pop song's ridiculously nonsensical lyrics.

Needless to say... I drove past the 10 Freeway ramp, got lost, and had to find my way back in unfamiliar terrain. But it was so worth it. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home