I loved your memo, btw...

''It's not a memo, it's a mission statement.''

Wednesday, February 25, 2004

"Oscar Picks: Should & Would Wins"
[Music || Tyra Banks, "Shake Ya Body"]

It's that time again. The Academy screwed up big time this year, snubbing the efforts of "thirteen" and "Cold Mountain" for major awards.

Here's the Will Win and Should Win for a boring, predictable telecast come Sunday.

Best Picture:
Will win: "Return of The King"

Should win: "Return of The King" - I cannot argue it's a great trilogy as a whole. Strung together, it's a classic. I didn't think the movie stood alone well, but the Academy has to award the trilogy as a whole and the way to do it is honoring "Return of The King." Some say the overrated "Mystic River" can pull an upset but that movie was so boring, I just can't see it. "Lost In Translation" is too small, but otherwise it's the best film of the bunch. "Seabiscuit" and "Master and Commander" were lucky to even be nominated.

Best Actor:
Will win: Sean Penn ("Mystic River") Bill Murray, ("Lost In Translation")

Should win: Jude Law ("Cold Mountain") - Okay, I'm bias here. This category is hard to pick because it's a three man race with Sean Penn, Bill Murray, and the wildcard/audience favorite Johnny Depp. I'm going to be plain vanilla and say Penn will get the award when I have gut instinct that Murray will. Actually, I think Murray will so I'm going to change it now. I just have a feeling a lighter movie and great acceptance speech will make Murray the winner. I say Law should win because he was amazing in "Cold Mountain" and he's not bad to look at.

Best Actress:
Will win: Charlize Theron ("Monster")

Should win: Naomi Watts ("21 Grams") - This is so unbelievable boring. It's either Theron or Keaton. I don't like any of the nominees in this category. As much as I loved "Whale Rider," Keisha Castle-Hughes' performance is nowhere near the "Best" of the year. I'm still not over Evan Rachel Wood's snub. I say Naomi Watts deserves the golden man because the Academy overlooked her in "Mulholland Dr." Not fair.

Best Supporting Actor:
Will win: Tim Robbins ("Mystic River")

Should win: Tim Robbins ("Mystic River") - I didn't like "Mystic River," but I can't deny that Robbins was captivating in it. His character makes up the movie. I wasn't feeling Ken Watanabe as much as everybody else.

Best Supporting Actress:
Will win: Shohreh Aghdashloo ("House of Sand and Fog")

Should win: Renee Zellweger ("Cold Mountain") - I can feel the upset already. I don't want Zellweger to take home the trophy for "Cold Mountain" since I rather her get it for HER leading movie in the future. All signs point to Zellweger as a lock, but I say this is the upset of the night. Her performance is hate it or love it; I personally loved it. Holly Hunter, Patricia Clarkson, and Marcia Gay Harden are all deserving and I've seen all three movie, but I don't think any of them pose as a threat. Aghdashloo will take home the Oscar; I can already imagine the "shock" from the audience when Renee's name isn't announced at the podium.

Best Director:
Will win: Peter Jackson ("Return of The King")

Should win: Peter Jackson ("Return of The King") - I like Sofia Coppola, but Jackson takes it home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home